How to set a beautiful font on Android – ways to change the style.
The Android platform is known for its openness. It allows the owner of an Android mobile phone to transform the device’s interface into a unique look that only he will have. That’s why many people change their lock screen style, icon layout, and even text style. Today we are going to find out how to install a custom font on Android, and what tools you can use to do it.
Reasons to change the font
The first reason for a possible font change was indirectly mentioned in the introduction – the desire to make the gadget interface unique. Also important is the desire to increase the level of comfort when interacting with the mobile phone. In this sense, the change in standard writing, both in design and size, allows the perception of the text to be adapted to one’s own needs.
Ways to change the default font
There are several ways to change the font. This is usually done by using the mobile phone’s built-in tools to change the text display settings. However, there are other options available to change the style using third party applications. We suggest that you consider all the methods so that you can choose the best one for you.
Through the special features
In the settings of some mobile phones, there is usually a hidden section called “Special Features”, which is designed to change minor settings. In particular, the font settings can be found here. Therefore, if you want to change the style or other settings of the text, use the following instructions:
- Open the mobile phone settings.
- Go to “Special Features” and then “Font Settings”.
- Calibrate the settings to your liking and then hit the save button.
Writing the settings involves changing several parameters. In most cases, these are three elements:
- you can increase or decrease the font, thus changing its size;
- it is assumed that you can change the style of the text by selecting another option;
- It is allowed to include a “bold font” option, which makes the text in interface elements more pronounced.
The availability of certain options in the phone settings directly depends on the device manufacturer, as well as the firmware version. As a result, your gadget may not be able to change the font or make the text bolder. In this case, it makes sense to refer to the other methods discussed in this article.
through the screen
Your phone may not have a “special features” settings section. Do not immediately seek alternative source substitutions via third party software in such a situation. The necessary settings may be hidden in another section:
- Run the settings on your mobile phone.
- Go to “Display” (“Display”).
- Open the “Text Size” tab.
There may be more options on your device than simply increasing or decreasing the size of the current text. Somewhere the manufacturer suggests changing the writing style, and somewhere else it suggests including bold characters.
As a side note. You can also change the font of the text by installing an alternative theme through the corresponding configuration section.
Through third-party applications
It is possible to change the default font using third-party software, as we have already discussed. This option allows you not only to enlarge or reduce the text, but also to change its style. However, in this case, you will need to obtain root rights. At least when using the iFont app, which can be downloaded via the Google Play Market:
- Install the app and run it.
- Open the “My” tab and then the “Settings” tab.
- Tap on “Change font mode”.
- Select the “System Mode” option and save the changes.
- Open the “Recommended” tab.
- Select your preferred spelling option.
- Click the download button.
- When the download is complete, click the “Install” button.
If everything has been done correctly, you will notice that your shell interface has been transformed. At the same time, do not forget that changing the settings by obtaining root rights entails a number of restrictions, among them the prohibition of transactions by banking applications.
If you are not willing to risk various manipulations to gain and revoke root rights, it is suggested that you use another type of application – a third-party launcher. This type of software transforms the appearance of the desktop by changing various settings, including the font. Let’s examine the principle of operation using the “Go” launcher as an example:
- Install the app of the same name on your mobile phone via the Google Play Market or an alternative source.
- Launch the app and give all necessary permissions, making “Go” the default launcher.
- Open the “Launcher Settings”.
- Go to “Source”.
- Customize the color, size, style, and other options available in your launcher.
Similarly, the text style can also be adjusted in other long courses. So there is no point in limiting yourself to the Go app as there are plenty of alternatives on the Play Store that are just as good as the launcher in terms of functionality and usability.
Manual replacement of system fonts
It is also possible to put a pretty font manually. However, this will be the most difficult option, so consider it last. If the other methods don’t work, follow the instructions:
- Install ES Explorer or another root-capable file manager.
- Activate root in Explorer settings.
- Create a folder for the text styles.
- Download the Internet Fonts file to the directory you just created.
- Rename the file giving it the name “Roboto-Regular”.
- Copy the file and place it in the directory under system/fonts.
- Confirm the substitution.
The new text display style will now be displayed in the operating system. On some devices, this can also be changed without root access. For this you will need:
- Download a font file and place it in the system/fonts directory.
- Open the mobile phone settings.
- Go to “Display” and then to “Source”.
- Select the preferred text style.
This option will not work on all mobile phones, so only the first method is considered universal. But, as you will understand, it has many disadvantages, the main one being the need to open root access.
How to customize the font of each application
Some applications only allow you to change the writing style within the applications without changing the corresponding settings in the system interface. They are usually clients of social networks and messengers.
WhatsApp users can change the text size. This will require:
- The messenger begins.
- Press the button in the form of three points.
- Go to the “Chats” section.
- Click on the “Sources” tab.
- Select the large, medium or small size as desired.
Of course, this setting does not change the writing style. However, size is one of the most important parameters that affect the perception of text messages.
You can make similar changes in the official mobile application of the VKontakte social network. If you are a VK user, follow the instructions below:
- Tap the gear icon to open the app settings.
- Go to the “Basic” section.
- Change the spelling of the text on the Font Size tab.
As with WhatsApp, there are three spelling options to choose from. It can be a large, medium or small text. Changes are effective immediately and do not require additional confirmation.
Users of the Instagram app have more options, but they are implemented differently. After installing the Font for Instagram – Beauty Font Style utility on a mobile phone, the owner has the option to change the writing style for an account post or description:
- Run Font for Instagram – Beauty Font Style.
- Write the desired text in the editor window.
- Press the “Copy” button.
- Paste the resulting text into a new post or profile description.
At the same time, changing the font size and other settings on Instagram is still not available, which could be considered a drawback of the mobile version of the social network.
When trying to change the font, the main problem may be the inability to find the desired menu item. If this type of problem occurs, it is recommended to use the settings search bar.
There may also be difficulties with manually setting fonts. First of all, you should note that changing the writing style requires root permissions. If you don’t do this beforehand, you won’t be able to change the settings.