How to activate the modem mode on your Android phone and share the Internet.
A mobile phone can be used not only as a primary device, but also as an intermediary for data transfer. Suppose your flat doesn’t have Internet at home, but you need to connect through your computer. Android’s modem mode, which turns your phone into a router, can help. Here we explain how it works and how you can configure the access points.
The modem mode is an option that allows the mobile phone to be used as a router, or what is the same, to distribute the Internet to other devices. The most revealing application scenario is connecting the PC to the network when there is no Internet connection at home. In this situation, you will need to set up a router on the mobile device and then select it from the list of Internet connections.
How to activate the mode
Activation of the modem mode is done in different ways, since your mobile phone can distribute the Internet in both wired and wireless mode. In the first case, you will have to connect the gadget to another via USB cable, and in the second case, you will have to connect wirelessly via Wi-Fi. Thus, not only your computer will have access to the network, but also other devices that require an Internet connection, such as your television or your tablet.
It is important. Router mode can only be set if mobile internet is activated on the gadget.
for wireless internet
Most of the time, the owners of Android mobile phones resort to a wireless access point, as it allows connecting more than one device to the Internet network. The modem activation icon can be found in the notification bar (Control Center). If you can’t find it, follow the instructions:
- Open the phone settings.
- Go to “Wi-Fi hotspot”.
- Activate the switch in front of the option of the same name.
Note that the names of the menu items may vary depending on the manufacturer and version of the operating system. Also, keep in mind the consumption of mobile data traffic when using a modem.
Once router mode is activated, all you have to do is connect another device to your gadget.
To do this, open the list of WiFi networks on your PC or another phone, select the point you just created and confirm the connection by entering the password.
To transfer via Bluetooth
The least fast method of data transfer is to use a Bluetooth modem. However, since such a method exists, we cannot avoid it. So, if you want to connect a third-party device to the Internet via USB, then similar to the method above, open the “Wi-Fi hotspot” settings section, and then turn on the “Bluetooth modem” option. . The mobile phone will then appear in the list of Bluetooth devices on the computer or the other phone.
For USB transmission
If you only need to connect one computer to the network and want the most stable connection possible, it is recommended to use the USB interface for data transfer. In this case, the connection process is as follows:
- Connect the mobile phone to the PC, allowing data transfer.
- Open the phone settings.
- Go to “Wi-Fi hotspot”.
- Turn on the slider next to “USB modem.”
You can find your phone by going to “Settings/Network” and “Internet/Ethernet” on PC. Once the password is entered, the data transfer to the PC starts. You can stop it at any time if you want.
The configuration of the mobile router is not only about activating the function, but also about other settings. All of this can be found in the “Wi-Fi hotspot” settings section with several tabs:
- Access point configuration. Here you are asked to assign a name to your mobile phone and a password. Here you can also set security and identification.
- Single traffic limit. In this section you can activate the traffic consumption limit for data transmission through an access point.
- Connected devices. Here you can find out which devices are connected to your hotspot and disconnect them if you wish.
Depending on the manufacturer and firmware version, the list of options may vary. However, all of them can be found in the options section of the modem.
Although it is not complicated at all to activate and continue configuring the router mode, for some users it does not work. We suggest that you examine the main problems and how to solve them:
- I can’t find the option. Check the search bar of your mobile phone settings. Use the phrases “Access point” or “Modem” as a query.
- I don’t know the password to connect. Go to the hotspot settings and open the password tab. By clicking on the eye-shaped icon, you will see the previously assigned password, which will be used to connect third-party gadgets.
- Internet does not give for more. This may be due to lack of traffic or money in your personal account. Also, some operators restrict the distribution of traffic in tariffs with unlimited Internet.
- Your mobile phone does not appear in the list of available connections. Try refreshing the page and check the name assigned to the phone in the modem settings. Also check that the mobile phone is close to the second device.
If you can’t find a solution to your problem, contact the mobile phone manufacturer’s support. If the problem is Internet only, you should contact your service provider.