Microsoft has finally made the Top Gun Maverick expansion of Microsoft Flight Simulator available. The advanced airplane simulator developed by Asobo Studio, in fact, will now allow virtual and non-virtual pilots to be able to impersonate a Top Gun pilot, thus trying to mimic part of the exploits seen by Tom Cruise in the two films of the short film saga, Top Gun Maverick included.
The expansion of Microsoft Flight Simulator, available on both PC and Xbox Series X and Series S, has various contents inside. They range from the F / A-18E Super Hornet fighter complete with a dedicated livery, to then move on to new modes that will enhance the extreme performance of this laboratory with wings.
As if that were not enough, we will also have the possibility to fly a hypersonic aircraft, capable of making even the aforementioned Super Hornet seem like something slow. The reason? This mysterious aircraft is capable of breaking through the Mach 10 wall, which is ten times the speed of sound.
The aircraft in question is the Dark Star, also present in the film and which can be considered to all intents and purposes a spiritual heir of the SR-71 Blackbird, so much so that it also resumes its features. This aircraft is capable of reach Mach 10 in sub-orbital flights thanks to two powerful Scramjet engines.
In a nutshell, what is Mach 10? Well, we are talking about a speed of over 12.300km / h. In any case, here is all the contents of the expansion that we remember being free.
- A Top Gun: Maverick Edition livery for the F / A-18E Super Hornet fighter
- Three training missions for the Super Hornet that will allow players to master the most spectacular flight maneuvers, including unrestricted takeoffs, half-S maneuvers and low-altitude and high-speed maneuvers over rough terrain
- Five high-speed, low-difficulty challenges that require the utmost skill to fly just over mountains and traverse canyons
- A landing challenge on the aircraft carrier’s flight deck, one of the most demanding operations in the world of military aviation
- A never-before-seen hypersonic aircraft capable of speeds of Mach 10 and altitudes greater than 150,000 feet above sea level
- A mission to break into the stratosphere